Pine straw & Mulch – Four Seasons Atlanta Lawn Care, there are many benefits to using pine straw as natural garden mulch. First and foremost, pinestraw is a natural by-product; meaning pine straw is discarded by pine trees naturally. Pine needles (straw) help provide excellent growing conditions for healthy trees, plants and shrubs.
Here are some benefits of pine straw and mulch installation besides the appearance.
- Pine straw and mulch installation are essential to the survival of your landscape during a drought. They will reduce the amount of water that evaporates from your soil, greatly reducing your need to water your plants.
- Pine straw and mulch improve the quality of your soil by breaking up clay and allowing better water and air movement through the soil. Also, mulch provides nutrients to sandy soil and improves its ability to hold water.
- Pine straw and mulch act as an insulating layer on top of soil, keeping it cooler in the summer.
- Pine straw and mulch keep weeds down, and the weeds that do grow are much easier to pull.
- They are also a great deterrent against weeds, insects, and rodent free.